“….Common Core State Standards or any other statewide education standards shall not be adopted or implemented without the approval of the general assembly.”
In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made School Boards.
– Following the Equator; Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar
The usual suspects introduced HB 1708 today:
SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1708
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES BAHR (Sponsor), JONES (89), KOENIG, CURTMAN AND SOMMER (Co-sponsors).
4245L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 161, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the Common Core Standards Initiative.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 161, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 161.855, to read as follows:
161.855. Notwithstanding any other law, the state board of education shall not adopt, and the department of elementary and secondary education shall not implement, the Common Core State Standards developed by the Common Core Standards Initiative. Any actions taken to adopt or implement the Common Core State Standards as of the effective date of this section are void. Common Core State Standards or any other statewide education standards shall not be adopted or implemented without the approval of the general assembly.
Gee, this must be an evil plot by some socialist globalists bent on destroying America as we know it.
So, what is this Common Core Standards Initiative, and who is behind it?:
….The standards are being developed by the following criteria:
* Aligned with expectations for college and career success
* Clear, so that educators and parents know what they need to do to help students learn
* Consistent across all states, so that students are not taught to a lower standard just because of where they live
* Include both content and the application of knowledge through high-order skills
* Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards and standards of top-performing nations
* Realistic, for effective use in the classroom
* Informed by other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society
* Evidence and research-based criteria have been set by states, through their national organizations CCSSO and the NGA Center.
….The federal government has had no role in the development of the common core state standards and will not have a role in their implementation….
Yeah, that’s clearly enough to make paranoid right wingnuts act like paranoid right wingnuts.
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort coordinated by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO). The standards were developed in collaboration with teachers, school administrators, and experts, to provide a clear and consistent framework to prepare our children for college and the workforce.
Okay, so they’re not socialist globalists bent on destroying America as we know it. Go figure.