‘Useless laws weaken the necessary laws.’ – Charles-Louis de Secondat, baron de La Brède et de Montesquieu (1689 – 1755)
In Missouri statute:
115.133. Qualifications of voters. — 1. Except as provided in subsection 2 of this section, any citizen of the United States who is a resident of the state of Missouri and seventeen years and six months of age or older shall be entitled to register and to vote in any election which is held on or after his eighteenth birthday.
2. No person who is adjudged incapacitated shall be entitled to register or vote. No person shall be entitled to vote:
(1) While confined under a sentence of imprisonment;
(2) While on probation or parole after conviction of a felony, until finally discharged from such probation or parole; or
(3) After conviction of a felony or misdemeanor connected with the right of suffrage.
3. Except as provided in federal law or federal elections and in section 115.277, no person shall be entitled to vote if the person has not registered to vote in the jurisdiction of his or her residence prior to the deadline to register to vote.
Proposes a constitutional amendment on voting rights
Sponsor: Trent, Curtis (133)
Proposed Effective Date: 8/28/2020
LR Number: 4011H.01I
Last Action: 12/11/2019 – Prefiled (H)
Bill String: HJR 75
Next House Hearing: Hearing not scheduled
Calendar: Bill currently not on a House calendar
Curtis Trent @curtisdtrent
Today I filed HJR 75, a measure to protect voting rights by ensuring only US Citizens are allowed to vote. The integrity of our elections is important to all Missourians and vital to maintain public trust in our institutions. #moleg
3:28 PM · Dec 11, 2019
Some of the responses:
So…..we will have a Constitutional Amendment that does what the law already does.
Fixing a problem that doesn’t exist is right on brand for republicans.
That’s already the rule, genius. What’s the real motive?
Appeals to xenophobia and casting doubt on other elections (the places he mentions allow non citizens to vote only in very specific elections, like school board)
“Liberals” already know that only US citizens are eligible to vote in Missouri. If you didn’t know that, what other bills of goods are you buying from MO GOP?