I kid you not. Someone actually used the phrase in a bill. Sponsored and co-sponsored by the usual suspects:
SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1550
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES COOKSON (Sponsor), TILLEY, JONES (89), DENISON, WELLS, SCHARNHORST, McGHEE, BURLISON, FITZWATER, PHILLIPS, FRAKER, BARNES, CIERPIOT, FUNDERBURK, CAUTHORN, LEACH, BAHR AND McNARY (Co-sponsors).
5294L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 161, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the capitalism education and awareness commission.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 161, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 161.860, to read as follows:
161.860. 1. The provisions of this section shall be known as the “Capitalism Education and Awareness Act”.
2. There is hereby created the “Capitalism Education and Awareness Commission”. The commission shall be a permanent commission within the department of elementary and secondary education which shall promote the implementation of capitalism education and awareness programs in the state in order to encourage understanding of the benefits and attributes of capitalism and to encourage market justice and economic freedom.
3. The commission shall be composed of twelve members to be appointed by the governor, with advice and consent of the senate, as follows:
(1) The commissioner of higher education;
(2) The commissioner of elementary and secondary education;
(3) The president of the University of Missouri system; and
(4) Nine members of the public, representing the diverse economic and free market groups operating in the state.
4. The commission may receive funds as appropriated from public moneys or contributions from private sources. The commission may sponsor programs or publications to educate the public about the war on capitalism in an effort to deter indifference and opposition to capitalism.
5. For purposes of this section, “capitalism” means a political-economic system in which the means of production and distribution are privately or corporately owned and development is proportionate to the accumulation and reinvestment of profits gained in free market, and which ensures economic freedom — “the right of individuals to pursue their interests through voluntary exchange of private property under a rule of law.”
6. The commission may employ an executive director and such other persons to carry out its functions.
“…The commission may sponsor programs or publications to educate the public about the war on capitalism in an effort to deter indifference and opposition to capitalism…”
One wonders, did cronies, insider traders, and credit default swap manipulators declare the war? Just asking.
“…Nine members of the public, representing the diverse economic and free market groups operating in the state…”
Does “diverse economic” groups include Marxists, Communists, and Socialists born in Kenya? Just asking.
Now, only if someone would introduce a bill aimed at reducing paranoid time wasting bill filings in the General Assembly.