SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1688
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES GUERNSEY (Sponsor), CONWAY (14), HOUGHTON, REDMON, DUGGER AND KLIPPENSTEIN (Co-sponsors).
5239L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 252.030, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to the financial responsibility for damage caused by reintroduced wildlife.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 252.030, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 252.030, to read as follows:
252.030. 1. The ownership of and title to all wildlife of and within the state, whether resident, migratory or imported, dead or alive, are hereby declared to be in the state of Missouri. Any person who fails to comply with or who violates this law or any such rules and regulations shall not acquire or enforce any title, ownership or possessory right in any such wildlife; and any person who pursues, takes, kills, possesses or disposes of any such wildlife or attempts to do so, shall be deemed to consent that the title of said wildlife shall be and remain in the state of Missouri, for the purpose of control, management, restoration, conservation and regulation thereof.
2. Any organization or entity that reintroduces any species of animal into this state shall be financially responsible for any damage caused by such reintroduced species of animal within this state, including but not limited to:
(1) The value of crops and pasture damaged or destroyed by the reintroduced species of animal;
(2) Indemnification of losses suffered by livestock producers as a result of harassment or disease spread from the reintroduced species of animal;
(3) The value of fencing and other public or private property damaged by reintroduced species of animal; and
(4) Damages incurred to Missouri licensed motor vehicles when such vehicles are involved in a collision with reintroduced species of animal.
[emphasis in original]
A description of this session of the General Assembly?:
….Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that’s how it always starts. Then later there’s running and screaming….